Replace ASCE 7, Section 13.1.4, with the following:
13.1.4 Exemptions. The following nonstructural components are exempt from the requirements of this section:
- Furniture (except storage cabinets as noted in Table 13.5-1).
- Equipment shall be anchored if it is permanently attached to the building utility services such as electricity, gas or water. For the purposes of this requirement, “permanently attached” shall include all electrical connections except plugs for duplex receptacles.
- The enforcement agency shall be permitted to require temporary attachments for movable equipment which is usually stationed in one place and heavier than 400 pounds or has a center of mass located 4 feet (1.22 m) or more above the adjacent floor or roof level that directly support the component, when they are not in use for a period longer than 8 hours at a time.
- The component is positively attached to the structure;
- The component weighs 20 pounds (89 N) or less or, in the case of a distributed system, 5 lb/ft (73 N/m) or less.
Exception: The enforcement agency shall be permitted to require attachments for equipment with hazardous contents to be shown on construction documents irrespective of weight.