3004.3 Area of Vents
Except as provided for in Section 3004.3.1, the area of the vents shall be not less than 31/2 percent of the area of the hoistway nor less than 3 square feet (0.28 m2) for each elevator car, and not less than 31/2 percent nor less than 0.5 square feet (0.047 m2) for each dumbwaiter car in the hoistway, whichever is greater. Of the total required vent area, not less than one-third shall be permanently open. Closed portions of the required vent area shall consist of openings glazed with annealed glass not greater than 1/8 inch (3.2 mm) in thickness.
Where mechanical ventilation conforming to the Florida Building Code, Mechanical is provided, a reduction in the required vent area is allowed provided that all of the following conditions are met:
- The occupancy is not in Group R-1, R-2, I-1 or I-2 or of a similar occupancy with overnight sleeping units.
- The vents required by Section 3004.2 do not have outside exposure.
- The hoistway does not extend to the top of the building.
- The hoistway and machine room exhaust fan is automatically reactivated by thermostatic means.
- Equivalent venting of the hoistway is accomplished.