505.2.1 Area Limitation
The aggregate area of a mezzanine or mezzanines within a room shall be not greater than one-third of the floor area of that room or space in which they are located. The enclosed portion of a room shall not be included in a determination of the floor area of the room in which the mezzanine is located. In determining the allowable mezzanine area, the area of the mezzanine shall not be included in the floor area of the room.
- The aggregate area of mezzanines in buildings and structures of Type I or II construction for special industrial occupancies in accordance with Section 503.1.1 shall be not greater than two-thirds of the floor area of the room.
- The aggregate area of mezzanines in buildings and structures of Type I or II construction shall be not greater than one-half of the floor area of the room in buildings and structures equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 and an approved emergency voice/alarm communication system in accordance with Section 907.5.2.2.
- 3.1. Except for enclosed closets and bathrooms, the mezzanine shall be open to the room in which such mezzanine is located;
- 3.2. The opening to the room shall be unobstructed except for walls not more than 42 inches (1067 mm) in height, columns and posts; and
- 3.3. Exceptions to Section 505.2.3 shall not be permitted.