3103.1.2 Approval Required for Tents and Membrane Structures
Temporary tents and temporary membrane structures having either of the following characteristics shall not be erected, operated or maintained for any purpose without first obtaining an approval from the building official. For the purpose of determining required distances, support ropes and guy wires shall be considered as part of the temporary tent or membrane structure.
- An individual tent or membrane structure with an area in excess of 400 square feet (37 m2); or
- Multiple tents or membrane structures with an aggregate area in excess of 400 square feet (37 m2) when adjacent temporary tents or membrane structures are located within 12 feet (3658 mm) of one another.
- An approval is not required for tents used exclusively for recreational camping purposes.
- An approval is not required for tents open on all sides which comply with all of the following:
- 2.1 Individual tents having a maximum size of 700 square feet (65 m2).
- 2.2 The aggregate area of multiple tents placed side by side without a fire break clearance of 12 feet (3658 mm), not exceeding 700 square feet (65 m2) total.
- 2.3 A minimum clearance of 12 feet (3658 mm) to all structures and other tents.