// CODE SNIPPET
Article 3 Approval of Drawings and Specifications
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
- The construction of any new school building, or rehabilitation of or addition to any existing school building. School building is defined in Section 4-314.
- The reconstruction or alteration of an existing school building if the estimated cost exceeds $100,000. (See Sections 4-308 and 4-309.)
- The rehabilitation of a nonschool building to use as a "school building." (See Sections 4-306 and 4-307.)
- Filing. A separate application shall be submitted to DSA for each school building or group of school buildings on each school site. The application shall be submitted on a form prescribed by DSA. The application shall contain a project name for the school building or group of buildings, the name of the architect or registered engineer in general responsible charge of the work, the names of the architects or registered engineers who have been delegated responsibility for portions of the work (see Section 4-316), the estimated cost of the project and all such other information as is requested thereon.
- Delayed filing. In case the plans and specifications for the reconstruction or alteration of any school building have not been submitted to DSA under the assumption that the cost will not exceed $100,000, the school board shall, if the bids which are received indicate that the cost will be in excess of $100,000, delay letting a contract until such time as the plans and specifications have been submitted and the approval by DSA obtained. The contract or contracts, when made, shall be based on the duly approved plans and specifications.
Authority: Education Code Sections 17310 and 81142.
Reference: Education Code Sections 17295, 17297, 17302, 81133 and 81138.
- If the change in responsibility occurs prior to the approval of the design documents, all responsibility shall be assumed. (See first paragraph of this subsection for procedure.)
- If the change in responsibility occurs after the design drawings and specifications have been approved by DSA, the assuming architect or registered engineer shall be responsible for the construction of the project in accordance with the design of the previous architect or engineer. The assuming architect or registered engineer shall assume responsibility for the interpretation of and any necessary amplification of the plans and specifications and shall stamp and sign any such documents prepared for that purpose.
- Acceptance as architect or registered engineer in general responsible charge for the preparation of the plans, specifications, and observation of the work of construction shall be reported using the form(s) prescribed by DSA.
- Acceptance as the responsible design professional to whom portions of the preparation of the plans and specifications has been delegated shall be reported using form(s) prescribed by DSA.
- Acceptance as the responsible design professional to whom portions of the observation of work of construction has been delegated shall be reported using form(s) prescribed by DSA. Any change in the assumption of the general responsible charge or of delegated responsibility shall be reported using the form(s) prescribed by DSA. If no form is available for a specific delegation or change, the delegation of responsibility shall be reported in letter form, which shall include an indication that the school board has been notified.