803.15 Application of Interior Finish Materials to Fire-Resistance-Rated or Noncombustible Building Elements
If the interior finish material is applied to furring strips, the intervening spaces between such furring strips shall comply with one of the following:
- Be filled with material that is inorganic or noncombustible.
- Be filled with material that meets the requirements of a Class A material in accordance with Section 803.1.1 or 803.1.2.
- Be fireblocked at not greater than 8 feet (2438 mm) in every direction in accordance with Section 718.
Exception: Compliance with Item 1, 2 or 3 is not required where the materials used to create the concealed space are noncombustible.
Where walls and ceilings are required to be of fire-resistance-rated or noncombustible construction and walls are set out or ceilings are dropped distances greater than specified in Section 803.15.1, Class A finish materials, in accordance with Section 803.1.1 or 803.1.2, shall be used.
- Where interior finish materials are protected on both sides by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.
- Where interior finish materials are attached to noncombustible backing or furring strips installed as specified in Section 803.15.1.1.
- Where the combustible void is filled with a noncombustible material.
The hangers and assembly members of such dropped ceilings that are below the horizontal fire-resistance-rated floor or roof assemblies shall be of noncombustible materials. The construction of each set-out wall and horizontal fire-resistance-rated floor or roof assembly shall be of fire-resistance-rated construction as required elsewhere in this code.
An interior wall or ceiling finish material that is not more than 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) thick shall be applied directly onto the wall, ceiling or structural element without the use of furring strips and shall not be suspended away from the building element to which that finish material it is applied.
- Noncombustible interior finish materials.
- Materials that meet the requirements of Class A materials in accordance with Section 803.1.1 or 803.1.2 where the qualifying tests were made with the material furred out from the noncombustible backing shall be permitted to be used with furring strips.
- Materials that meet the requirements of Class A materials in accordance with Section 803.1.1 or 803.1.2 where the qualifying tests were made with the material suspended away from the noncombustible backing shall be permitted to be used suspended away from the building element.