1607.11.2 Alternative Uniform Live Load Reduction
As an alternative to Section 1607.11.1 and subject to the limitations of Table 1607.1, uniformly distributed live loads are permitted to be reduced in accordance with the following provisions. Such reductions shall apply to slab systems, beams, girders, columns, piers, walls and foundations.
- A reduction shall not be permitted in passenger vehicle parking garages except that the live loads for members supporting two or more floors are permitted to be reduced by not greater than 20 percent.
- For live loads not exceeding 100 psf (4.79 kN/m2), the design live load for any structural member supporting 150 square feet (13.94 m2) or more is permitted to be reduced in accordance with Equation 16-24.
- For one-way slabs, the area, A, for use in Equation 16-24 shall not exceed the product of the slab span and a width normal to the span of 0.5 times the slab span.
For SI: R = 0.861(A - 13.94)
Such reduction shall not exceed the smallest of:
- 40 percent for members supporting one floor.
- 60 percent for members supporting two or more floors.
- R as determined by the following equation: