R301.1.1.1 Alternative Provisions for Limited-Density Owner-Built Rural Dwellings
The purpose of this subsection is to permit alternatives that provide minimum protection of life, limb, health, property, safety and welfare of the general public and the owners and occupants of limited-density owner-built rural dwellings as defined in Chapter 2 of this code. For additional information see Chapter 1, Subchapter 1, Article 8, of Title 25, California Code of Regulations, commencing with Section 74.
To meet compliance with the requirements of this code, provisions of Section R301.1.1.1, Items 1 though 5 may be utilized for limited-density owner-built rural dwellings when the materials, methods of construction, or appliances are determined appropriate or suitable for their intended purpose by the local enforcing agency.
- A limited-density owner-built rural dwelling may be of any type of construction which will provide for a sound structural condition. Structural hazards which result in an unsound condition and which may constitute a substandard building are delineated in Section 17920.3 of the Health and Safety Code.
- There shall be no requirements for room dimensions as required in Chapter 3, provided there is adequate light and ventilation and means of egress.
- There shall be no specified requirement for heating capacity or for temperature maintenance. The use of solid-fuel or solar heating devices shall be deemed as complying with the requirements of Chapter 3. If nonrenewable fuel is used in these dwellings, rooms so heated shall meet current installation standards.
- Pier foundations, stone masonry footings and foundations, pressure-treated lumber, poles or equivalent foundation materials or designs may be used provided that bearing is sufficient.
- Owner-produced or used materials and appliances may be utilized unless found not to be of sufficient strength or durability to perform the intended function. Owner-produced or used lumber, or shakes and shingles may be utilized unless found to contain dry rot, excessive splitting or other defects obviously rendering the material unfit in strength or durability for the intended purpose.