// CODE SNIPPET
188.8.131.52.5 Alternative Firestop Requirements
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
The requirements of 184.108.40.206 shall not apply where otherwise permitted by any one of the following:
- Where penetrations are tested and installed as part of an assembly tested and rated in accordance with ASTM E119, Standard Test Methods for Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials, or ANSI/UL 263, Standard for Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials
- Where penetrations through floors are enclosed in a shaft enclosure designed as a fire barrier
- Where concrete, grout, or mortar has been used to fill the annular spaces around cast-iron, copper, or steel piping, conduit, or tubing that penetrates one or more concrete or masonry fire resistance-rated assemblies, and all of the following applies:
- The nominal diameter of each penetrating item does not exceed 6 in. (150 mm).
- The opening size does not exceed 1 ft2 (0.09 m2).
- The thickness of the concrete, grout, or mortar is the full thickness of the assembly.
- Where penetration is limited to one floor, the firestopping material is capable of preventing the passage of flame and hot gases sufficient to ignite cotton waste when subjected to the time-temperature fire conditions of ASTM E119, Standard Test Methods for Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials, or ANSI/UL 263, Standard for Fire Tests of Building Materials, under a minimum positive pressure differential of 0.01 in. water column (2.5 Pa) at the location of the penetration for the time period equivalent to the required fire resistance rating of the assembly penetrated, and the firestopping materials are used with the following penetrating items:
- Steel, ferrous, or copper cables
- Cable or wire with steel jackets
- Cast-iron, steel, or copper pipes
- Steel conduit or tubing
Related Code Sections
220.127.116.11.5 Features of Fire Protection, Alternative Firestop Requirements
The requirements of 18.104.22.168 shall not apply where otherwise permitted by any one of the following: Where penetrations are tested and installed ...
Life Safety Code 2018 of Kansas > 8 Features of Fire Protection > 8.3 Fire Barriers > 8.3.4 Penetrations > 22.214.171.124* Firestop Systems and Devices Required > 126.96.36.199.5 Alternative Firestop Requirements
1705.17.1 Special Inspections and Tests, Penetration Firestops
Inspections of penetration firestop systems that are tested and listed in accordance with Sections 7188.8.131.52 and 7184.108.40.206 shall be conducted ...
Building Code 2018 of Kansas > 17 Special Inspections and Tests > 1705 Required Special Inspections and Tests > 1705.17 Fire-Resistant Penetrations and Joints > 1705.17.1 Penetration Firestops
E3402.3 General Requirements, Penetrations of Firestops and Draftstops
Penetrations through fire blocking and draftstopping shall be protected in an approved manner to maintain the integrity of the element penetrated ...
Residential Code 2018 of Kansas > 34 General Requirements > E3402 Building Structure Protection > E3402.3 Penetrations of Firestops and Draftstops
R302.4.1.2 Building Planning, Penetration Firestop System
Penetrations shall be protected by an approved penetration firestop system installed as tested in accordance with ASTM E814 or UL 1479 ...
Residential Code 2018 of Kansas > 3 Building Planning > R302 Fire-Resistant Construction > R302.4 Dwelling Unit Rated Penetrations > R302.4.1 Through Penetrations > R302.4.1.2 Penetration Firestop System
7220.127.116.11 Fire and Smoke Protection Features, Through-Penetration Firestop System
Through penetrations shall be protected by an approved through-penetration firestop system installed and tested in accordance with ASTM E814 or UL ...
Building Code 2018 of Kansas > 7 Fire and Smoke Protection Features > 714 Penetrations > 714.5 Horizontal Assemblies > 714.5.1 Through Penetrations > 718.104.22.168 Through-Penetration Firestop System