1220.127.116.11.3 Airborne Infection Isolation Exam/Treatment Room
When provided, the airborne infection isolation room shall be an exam/treatment room, shall be labeled with the words "Airborne Infection Room", and provide the following:
- Capacity. Each airborne infection isolation exam/treatment room shall contain only one examination table or recliner.
- Handwashing station. A handwashing station shall be located in each airborne infection isolation exam/treatment room.
- Gowning and storage area. An area for gowning and storage of clean and soiled materials shall be located directly outside or inside the entry door to the airborne infection isolation exam/treatment room.
- Doors. Room doors shall be self-closing and include latching devices.
- Sealed-tight room. Room perimeter walls, ceiling, floors, doors and penetration shall be sealed tightly to minimize air infiltration from the outside or from other spaces.
- Ventilation. The ventilation shall be provided as required by the California Mechanical Code for airborne infection isolation room.
An airborne infection isolation anteroom is not required; however, when an anteroom is provided, it shall meet the following requirements:
- The anteroom shall provide space for persons to don personal protective equipment before entering the patient room.
- All doors to the anteroom shall have self-closing devices.
- The anteroom shall provide storage of personal protective equipment (e.g. respirators, gowns, gloves) and clean equipment.
- Ventilation shall be provided in the anteroom as required by the California Mechanical Code for airborne infection isolation anteroom.