5106.3 Aerosol Product Display and Normal Merchandising Exceeding 8 Feet High
Aerosol product display and merchandising areas shall be protected by an automatic sprinkler system based on the requirements set forth in Tables 188.8.131.52(a) through 184.108.40.206(l) of NFPA 30B and the following:
- Protection shall be based on the highest level of aerosol product in the array and the packaging method of the storage located more than 6 feet (1829 mm) above the finished floor.
- Where using the cartoned aerosol products tables of NFPA 30B, uncartoned or display-cut Level 2 and 3 aerosol products shall not be permitted more than 6 feet (1829 mm) above the finished floor.
- The design area for Level 2 and 3 aerosol products shall extend not less than 20 feet (6096 mm) beyond the Level 2 and 3 aerosol product display and merchandising areas.
- Where ordinary and high-temperature ceiling sprinkler systems are adjacent to each other, noncombustible draft curtains shall be installed at the interface.
Separation of Level 2 and 3 aerosol product areas shall comply with the following:
- Level 2 and 3 aerosol product display and merchandising areas shall be separated from each other by not less than 25 feet (7620 mm). See Table 5106.2.1.
- 2.1. Segregating areas from each other by horizontal distance of not less than 25 feet (7620 mm).
- 2.2. Isolating areas from each other by a noncombustible partition extending not less than 18 inches (457 mm) above the merchandise.
- 2.3. In accordance with Section 5106.5.
- Where Item 2.2 is used to separate Level 2 or 3 aerosol products from flammable or combustible liquids, and the aerosol products are located within 25 feet (7620 mm) of flammable or combustible liquids, the area below the noncombustible partition shall be liquid tight at the floor to prevent spilled liquids from flowing beneath the aerosol products.