Except for the modifications as set forth in Sections 3412A and 3413A all additions, alterations, repairs and seismic retrofit to existing structures or portions thereof shall be permitted to be designed in accordance with the provisions of ASCE 41. When load combinations which do not include seismic forces are required, the new building code provisions of this code shall be applicable.
Target building performance level shall be as follows:
- Immediate Occupancy (IO) Structural Performance Level (S-1) as defined in Section 126.96.36.199 at Basic Safety Earthquake 1N (BSE-1N) Seismic Hazard Level; and
- Life Safety (LS) Structural performance level (S-3) as defined in Section 188.8.131.52 at Basic Safety Earthquake 2N (BSE-2N) Seismic Hazard Level;
- Life Safety Structural Performance (S-3) Level as defined in ASCE 41 Section 184.108.40.206 at the Basic Safety Earthquake 1E (BSE-1E) Seismic Hazard Level; and
- Collapse Prevention (CP) building performance level (5-D) in accordance with Section 220.127.116.11 at the Basic Safety Earthquake 2E (BSE-2E) Seismic Hazard Level; and
- The nonstructural components shall satisfy the requirements of Position Retention Nonstructural Performance Level (N-B) in accordance with ASCE 41 Section 18.104.22.168 at BSE-1E Seismic Hazard Level.
- Operational Building Performance Level of (1-A) as defined in Section 22.214.171.124 at Basic Safety Earthquake 1N (BSE-1N) Seismic Hazard Level;
- Life Safety (LS) building performance level (S-3) as defined in Section 126.96.36.199 at Basic Safety Earthquake 2N (BSE-2N) Seismic Hazard Level.
Use of material properties based on historical information as default values shall not be permitted.
The selection of a particular analysis procedure from ASCE 41 shall be subject to the approval of the enforcement agency.
Prior to implementation of ASCE 41 Nonlinear Dynamic Procedure, the ground motion, analysis and design methods, material assumptions and acceptance criteria proposed by the engineer shall be reviewed by the enforcement agency.
Where analysis/modeling parameters or acceptance criteria for structural elements are not provided in ASCE 41 or are considered to be inadequate, the analysis/modeling parameters or acceptance criteria shall be permitted to be established on the basis of test, using a criteria acceptable to the building official, and ASCE 41 Section 7.6.3.
Construction, testing, inspection and structural observation requirements shall be as required for new construction.