The Commissioner of Labor shall have general supervision over the Elevator and Amusement Device Division and the Boiler Pressure Vessel Division. [General Statute 143-139(c)]
The Elevator and Amusement Device Division shall enforce the provisions of the North Carolina State Building Code that pertain to the operation of:
- Moving walks;
- Personnel hoists;
- Chair and wheelchair lifts;
- Special equipment; and
- Amusement devices.
Exceptions:[General Statute 143-139(d)]
- Devices and equipment located and operated within a single-family residence.
- Equipment constructed, installed and used exclusively for the movement of materials.
- Mining equipment covered by either the Federal Mine Safety and Health Act or the Mine Safety and Health Act of North Carolina.
The Boiler and Pressure Vessel Division shall enforce the provisions of Chapter 95 of the General Statutes which pertain to boilers and pressure vessels. The Boiler and Pressure Vessel Division shall not regulate hot water supply boilers equipped with ASME Code and National Board certified safety relief valves, which are fired with oil, gas, or electricity or hot water supply tanks heated by any indirect means which do not exceed any of the following limitations:
- Heat input of 200,000 Btu/hr;
- Water temperature of 200°F (93°C);
- Nominal water capacity of 120 gallons (454 L).