// CODE SNIPPET
1006.3.1 Adjacent Story
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Exception: The path of egress travel to an exit shall be permitted to pass through more than one adjacent story in any of the following:
- In Group R-1, R-2 or R-3 occupancies, exit access stairways and ramps connecting four stories or less serving and contained within an individual dwelling unit, sleeping unit or live/work unit.
- Exit access stairways serving and contained within a Group R-3 congregate residence or a Group R-4 facility.
- Exit access stairways and ramps in open parking garages that serve only the parking garage.
- Exit access stairways and ramps serving open-air assembly seating complying with the exit access travel distance requirements of Section 1029.7.
- Exit access stairways and ramps between the balcony, gallery or press box and the main assembly floor in occupancies such as theaters, places of religious worship, auditoriums and sports facilities.
Related Code Sections
1004.2.3 Means of Egress, Adjacent Stories
Other than for the egress components designed for convergence in accordance with Section 1005.6, the occupant load from separate stories shall ...
Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 10 Means of Egress > 1004 Occupant Load > 1004.2 Cumulative Occupant Loads > 1004.2.3 Adjacent Stories
1006.3.1 Means of Egress, Adjacent Story
The path of egress travel to an exit shall not pass through more than one adjacent story . Exception: The path of egress travel to an exit ...
Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 10 Means of Egress > 1006 Number of Exits and Exit Access Doorways > 1006.3 Egress From Stories or Occupied Roofs > 1006.3.1 Adjacent Story
1005.6 Means of Egress, Egress Convergence
adjacent stories, whichever is larger ...
Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 10 Means of Egress > 1005 Means of Egress Sizing > 1005.6 Egress Convergence
18.14.5 Earthquake-Resistant Structures, Slab-Column Connections
) shall be taken as the greater of the values of the adjacent stories above and below the slab-column connection. v c shall be calculated ...
Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete of Illinois > 18 Earthquake-Resistant Structures > 18.14 Members Not Designated as Part of the Seismic-Force-Resisting System > 18.14.5 Slab-Column Connections
705.8.5 Fire and Smoke Protection Features, Vertical Separation of Openings
Openings in exterior walls in adjacent stories shall be separated vertically to protect against fire spread on the exterior of the buildings ...
Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 7 Fire and Smoke Protection Features > 705 Exterior Walls > 705.8 Openings > 705.8.5 Vertical Separation of Openings