// CODE SNIPPET
2107.4 ACI 530/ASCE 5/TMS 402, Section 2.1.6, Columns
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Add the following text to Section 2.1.6:
220.127.116.11 Light-frame construction. Masonry columns used only to support light-frame roofs of carports, porches, sheds or similar structures with a maximum area of 450 square feet (41.8 m2) assigned to Seismic Design Category A, B or C are permitted to be designed and constructed as follows:
- Concrete masonry materials shall be in accordance with Section 2103.1 of the Building Code of New York State. Clay or shale masonry units shall be in accordance with Section 2103.2 of the Building Code of New York State.
- The nominal cross-sectional dimension of columns shall not be less than 8 inches (203 mm).
- Columns shall be reinforced with not less than one No. 4 bar centered in each cell of the column.
- Columns shall be grouted solid.
- Columns shall not exceed 12 feet (3658 mm) in height.
- Roofs shall be anchored to the columns. Such anchorage shall be capable of resisting the design loads specified in Chapter 16 of the Building Code of New York State.
- Where such columns are required to resist uplift loads, the columns shall be anchored to their footings with two No. 4 bars extending a minimum of 24 inches (610 mm) into the columns and bent horizontally a minimum of 15 inches (381 mm) in opposite directions into the footings. One of these bars is permitted to be the reinforcing bar specified in Item 3 above. The total weight of a column and its footing shall not be less than 1.5 times the design uplift load.
Related Code Sections
2107.4 Masonry, ACI 530/ASCE 5/TMS 402, Section 2.1.6, Columns
Add the following text to Section 2.1.6: 18.104.22.168 Light-frame construction. Masonry columns used only to support light-frame roofs of carports ...
2010 Building Code of NY > 21 Masonry > 2107 Allowable Stress Design > 2107.4 ACI 530/ASCE 5/TMS 402, Section 2.1.6, Columns
2106.1.1 Masonry, Basic Seismic-Force-Resisting System
with the requirements of Section 22.214.171.124.4 of ACI 530/ASCE 5/TMS 402 and shall be designed by Chapter 4, Section 4.4.3, of ACI 530/ASCE 5/TMS 402 for flexural ...
2010 Building Code of NY > 21 Masonry > 2106 Seismic Design > 2106.1 Seismic Design Requirements for Masonry > 2106.1.1 Basic Seismic-Force-Resisting System
2109.1 Masonry, General
Empirically designed masonry shall conform to the requirements of Appendix A of TMS 402/ACI 530/ASCE 5, except where otherwise noted in this section ...
Building Code 2015 of New York State > 21 Masonry > 2109 Empirical Design of Masonry > 2109.1 General
2101.2 Masonry, Design Methods
Prestressed masonry shall be designed in accordance with Chapters 1 and 4 of ACI 530/ASCE 5/TMS 402 and Section 2106. Special inspection during construction ...
1808.9 Soils and Foundations, Vertical Masonry Foundation Elements
, as applicable, in accordance with TMS 402/ACI 530/ASCE 5 ...
Building Code 2015 of New York State > 18 Soils and Foundations > 1808 Foundations > 1808.9 Vertical Masonry Foundation Elements