Section 1141A Accessible Swimming Pools
Swimming pool deck areas must be accessible, and a mechanism to assist persons with disabilities gain entry into the pool and exit from the pool shall be provided. Such a mechanism may consist of a swimming pool lift device as long as the device meets all of the following criteria:
- 1.1. The seat must be rigid;
- 1.2. The seat must be not less than 17 inches (432 mm) and not more than 19 inches (483 mm), inclusive of any cushioned surface that might be provided, above the pool deck;
- 1.3. The seat must have two armrests. The armrest on the side of the seat by which access is gained shall be either removable or fold clear of the seat;
- 1.4. The seat must have a back support that is at least 12 inches (305 mm) tall; and
- 1.5. The seat must have an occupant restraint for use by the occupant of the seat and the restraint must meet the standards for operable controls in compliance with Section 1138A.4.4.
- Be capable of unassisted operation from both the deck and water levels.
- Be stable and not permit unintended movement when a person is getting into or out of the seat.
- Be designed to have a live-load capacity of not less than 300 pounds.
- Be positioned so that, if the pool has water of different depths, it will place the operator into water that is at least 3 feet (914 mm) deep.
- Be capable of lowering the operator at least 18 inches (457 mm) below the surface of the water.