// CODE SNIPPET
1127A.3 Accessible Lavatories
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
- Location. Lavatories shall be installed with the centerline of the fixture a minimum of 18 inches (457 mm) horizontally from an adjoining wall, partition or fixture. The top of the fixture rim shall be a maximum of 34 inches (864 mm) above the finished floor.
- Floor space. A clear floor space at least 30 inches by 48 inches (762 mm by 1219 mm) shall be provided in front of accessible lavatories to allow forward approach. Such clear floor space shall adjoin or overlap an accessible route or another clear floor space.
- Knee and toe space. A clear and obstructed knee and toe space, complying with Section 1138A.2, shall be provided underneath the lavatory. The knee and toe space shall be centered on the fixture. The clear floor space required by Item 2 shall not extend into the knee and toe space more than 19 inches (483 mm). (See Figure 11A-9D.)
- Finished floor. The finished floor beneath the lavatory shall be extended to the wall.
- Plumbing protection. Water supply and drain pipes under lavatories shall be insulated or otherwise covered to protect against contact. There shall be no sharp or abrasive surfaces under lavatories.
- Lavatory faucet controls. Faucet controls and operation mechanisms shall be operable with one hand and shall not require tight grasping, pinching or twisting of the wrist. The force required to activate controls shall be no greater than 5 pounds (22.2N). Lever operated, push type and electronically controlled mechanisms are examples of acceptable designs. Hand operated metering faucets are allowed if the faucet remains open for at least 10 seconds.