For elevator lobbies in high-rise office buildings where the occupants of the floor are not required to travel through the elevator lobby to reach an exit, when approved by the fire chief, the doors separating the elevator lobby from the adjacent occupied tenant space that also serve as the entrance doors to the tenant space shall be permitted to be equipped with an approved entrance and egress access control system provided all of the following requirements are met:
- The building is provided throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- A smoke detector is installed on the ceiling on the tenant side of the elevator lobby doors along the center line of the door opening, not less than 1 foot and not more than 5 feet from the door opening, and is connected to the fire alarm system.
- A remote master switch capable of unlocking the elevator lobby doors shall be provided in the fire command center for use by the fire department.
- Locks for the elevator lobby shall be U.L. and California State Fire Marshal listed fail-safe type locking mechanisms. The locking device shall automatically release on activation of any fire alarm device on the floor of alarm (waterflow, smoke detector, manual pull stations, etc.). All locking devices shall unlock, but not unlatch, upon activation.
- Loss of power to that part of the access control system which locks the doors shall automatically unlock the doors.