Section 8.10 Acceptance Inspections and Tests
Section 8.10 covers acceptance inspections and tests of new or altered installations.
NOTES (Section 8.10):
- Compliance with certain requirements is verifiable through review of design documents, engineering, or type tests.
- Category 5 tests using alternative test methods require a comparison against baseline measures made during acceptance inspection tests. See 18.104.22.168 if alternative test methods are contemplated on future Category 5 tests.
(a) the Code at the time of installation
(b) the Code effective as applicable to and for each alteration
(c) the ASME A17.3 Code if adopted by the authority having jurisdiction
- ASME A17.2, Guide for Inspection of Elevators, Escalators, and Moving Walks (see "ASME Elevator Publications" in Preface), covers recommended inspection and testing procedures.
- References to "Items" of ASME A17.2, Guide for Inspection of Elevators, Escalators, and Moving Walks, and to the requirements of this Code are indicated in parentheses as a convenient reference to the applicable testing procedures and requirements. See the Preface and Scope of ASME A17.2 for additional information.
(b) Stop Switches (Item 1.2)
(c) Operating Control Devices (Item 1.3)
(2) in-car inspection (22.214.171.124.3)
(d) Car Floor and Landing Sill (Item 1.4)
(1) car floor (2.15.5)
(3) landing-sill guard, illumination, and hinging (2.11.10)
(4) car hinged sills (2.15.16)
(e) Car Lighting (2.14.7) (Item 1.5)
(1) normal illumination (2.14.7)
(2) auxiliary lighting system (126.96.36.199.3)
(1) closed position (188.8.131.52)
(1) Power Opening of Doors (2.13.2), Determine that power opening of car and hoistway doors only occurs when the car is at rest at the landing or in the landing zone, except in the case of static control, check that the power shall not be applied until the car is within 300 mm (12 in.) of the landing.
(2) Leveling Zone (184.108.40.206.3) and Leveling Speed (220.127.116.11.6). Check that the leveling zone does not exceed the maximum allowable distance. Check that the leveling speed does not exceed 0.75 m/s (150 ft/min). In addition, for static control elevators, the person or firm installing the equipment shall provide a written checkout procedure and demonstrate that the leveling speed with the doors open is limited to a maximum of 0.75 m/s (150 ft/min) and that the speed-limiting (or speed monitor) means is independent of the normal means of controlling this speed (18.104.22.168.6).
(3) Inner Landing Zone (22.214.171.124.7J. For static control elevators, check that the zone in which the car can move with the doors open is not more than 75 mm (3 in.) above or below the landing [Item 1.10.2(c)].
(k) Car Vision Panels and Glass Car Doors (Item 1.11)
(1) vision panel (126.96.36.199)
(3) access panels (188.8.131.52)
(l) Car Enclosure (Item 1.12)
(2) equipment prohibited inside car (184.108.40.206)
(3) classes of loading (220.127.116.11)
(5) identification in cars (2.29.1)
(m) Emergency Exit (Item 1.13)
(1) car top (18.104.22.168)
(2) car side (22.214.171.124)
(p) Rated Load, Platform Area, and Data Plate (Item 1.16)
(q) Emergency or Standby Power Operation (Item 1.17). Operation of elevators equipped with emergency or standby power shall be inspected and tested for conformance with the applicable requirements (2.16.8 and 2.27.2). Passenger elevators and freight elevators permitted to carry passengers shall be tested with 125% of rated load. Other freight elevators shall be tested with rated load. In addition, freight elevators with Class C2 loading shall be tested to ensure that the overload can be maintained during loading and unloading.
(u) Stopping Accuracy (2.26.11)
(v) Machinery Space/Control Space (126.96.36.199.2)
(w) Working Areas in the Car (188.8.131.52)
(1) means to prevent unexpected movement (184.108.40.206.1)
(2) unexpected car movement device (220.127.116.11)
(3) operating instructions for unexpected car movement device (18.104.22.168)
(4) operating instructions for egress and reentry procedure (22.214.171.124)
(x) Equipment Access Panel Electrical Device (126.96.36.199)
(y) Earthquake Inspections and Tests (188.8.131.52) (Item 1.20)